Tuesday, September 25, 2007

BetsC's QUICK Guide to Food-Combining

I choose healthy foods from the following four food categegories:

Complex Carbohydrates
Proteins/Fats
Veggies
Fruits

Whether I am trying to loose weight or maintain my weight, I eat these foods in moderation, following simple food-combining principles, which includes eating them in combinations at appropriate times to assist the bodies natural digestion process.

Carbs w/Veggies (no fats)
Wait 2 hours before eating Fruits
Wait 3 hours before eating Proteins/Fats

Proteins/Fats and Veggies (no carbs)
Wait 2 hours before eating Fruits
Wait 3 hours before eating Carbs

Veggies (no fruit)
Wait 0 minutes before eating Carbs or Proteins/Fats

Fruits (no carbs/proteins/fats)
Wait 20 minutes before eating Carbs
Wait 1 hour before eating Proteins/Fats
NOTE: Best when eaten on an empty stomach.

I avoid all refined sugars, simple carbohydrates, processed foods and foods with added chemicals. You may have noticed that I did not mention Sweets? Well, I did that for a reason. As much as I love Sweets, they do not serve the body with any real nutritional value, so I don't like to include them as a separate food category.

It's better to focus on real, whole foods, such as complex carbs, lean meats, fresh fruits and veggies.

Then, once you have established good eating habits, you can have a little sweet treat if you like. If you learn not to incorporate Sweets as a "food" category to begin with you will be more successful in eating healthy and not falling into the bad habit of substituting "Sweet Meals" in place of healthy, nutritious meals!

No comments: